Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's Not Always About What You Want

"It's not always about what you want, it's about what your body needs."

When my nutrionist said this to me a few weeks ago, it really stuck out to me. I thought I was doing a good enough job with my eating habits (minus of course, when I was flat out eating junk). But, as I have worked through the last few weeks on eating better...I realized a few things:

1) I was not getting enough protein on a daily basis. Little hard to believe that one, but I was getting anywhere between one to two servings (1oz to 4oz ounces) of protein.

2) I was not eating enough non-starchy veggies and fruits. Oops....Certainly not getting the basic government recommendation of 5 a day...Definately, not getting my nutrionist personalized goal of 3 fruit servings & 5 vegetable servings a day. (This website has really helped me with this one: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/)

3) I should get back to the basics....We ate healthy growing up...baked foods, veggies & fruits, some organic & health food selections. We didn't eat alot of junk althogether...like sugary cereals. We ate other foods sparingly....like fried foods and soda. My parents did a good job of keeping things in balance...

4) I need more convenience items. I am very busy with church, family, work, a brand new startup llc, exercise, and life. I don't have the time (or energy) like I used to cook. So, I started not eating balance meals and/or eating junk b/c that was quick/easier. So, I've been grabbing things that are quick & easy to prepare.

5) I need to make sure my body gets what it needs. So, if that means it takes more time in the grocery store to read labels on food items; bringing a snack/food item with me while I am out whether that be an event or running erands; skipping #5 on the menu when out with my girls, i gotta do it.

No comments: