Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting Real

I just read this great article 'Eight Keys To a Healthy Weight' (http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/eightkeys.htm).

It's written by Daniel Kosich, PhD and based on his book GET REAL: A Personal Guide To Real-Life Weight Management. In GET REAL, Dr. Kosich says the three most important elements of successful weight control are: 1) regular activity, 2) proper eating and 3) (most importantly) a positive attitude (which includes high self-esteem, self-empowerment and a healthy body image).

You don't hear to often about having a positive attitude when it comes to weight loss from professionals. Love that!

Dr. Kosich asks you to think about where you want to be in 10 years. "It's not what you do for the next 10 days, or 10 weeks, or even 10 months, that determines where you'll be in 10 years," he says. "It's what you do for the next 10 years that counts."

Wow...What a great quote! I don't want to be back here in 2 years, or 5 years, or 10 years! So, every day - every week - every month - every year - I'll have to do the things to keep me in the best of health.

Lastly, he advises to be patient & persistent.

'It takes practice. Most experts recommend that you keep a simple log or record of your new healthy self-care habits. Just take a few minutes each day to note what activities you did, a general description of the foods you ate, and the positive things you did to take care of yourself. Most importantly, don't be in a hurry. Most health professionals will tell you it takes at least six months for a new habit to become part of your lifestyle. Keeping records helps you stick to your healthier habits until they become second nature. And take it in small steps. That's how most things happen . . . in real life. '


And that's what I'm doing...I keep a separate food journal...I think I'll start doing weekly recaps here too. I started this blog to journal my thoughts and steps to working back to being healthy. I think I'm going to start a exercise journal...I note my activity in my food journal, but I want to do so in more detail...intensity, length, # of reps, etc.

I love the part about 6 months to make a habit a part of my lifestyle. I have been thinking alot lately 21 days is not enough to make a habit (this healthier living thing) stick. I should have a solid footing on this thing by December 31st! 7 months of practice, perseverance, and perfecting!

No comments: