Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Way To Eat

I was going through old Oprah magazines looking for images for my vision board and stumbled across this article...The Way to Eat by Dr. David Katz.


And it reinforced something I had realized a few weeks or so ago....I was just too busy last year. Working a full time job that involves some travel, teaching Zumba 3 to 4 times a week, babysitting my nephew two nights a week as his mother went to grad school, helping take my nephew and sister to school and work each day as her car broke down and she saved to buy a new one, volunteer work which really operating as a non paid part time job - that took 15 to 20 hours a week, and then life and all that entails.

To make the most of the time I really didn't have, I cut back on my workouts. I also didn't really have time to properly grocery shop and plan my meals. I ate pretty healthy alot of the time..But, I wasn't able to eat as well as I could have with a little more preparation and planning.


Taking the extra time to plan and prepare, allows me to bring in good breakfast and snack options. I generally prefer to eat yogurt, fruit, whole grain English muffin, protein shake, and/or oatmeal in the mornings. I usually get lunch in the cafe a few times a week (I can get things like grilled chicken, turkey burgers, grilled veggies, fresh fruits, and salads) and go out a few days a week (to places like panera bread or subway). But, I like to supplement lunch options with things like fruit, hummus dip & pitas, soup, or carrots/cut veggies. I also travel frequently for work so that gives me the time to shop for and put some healthy food options in my luggage.

Taking that extra time as opposed to winging it or being at the mercy of a venue/host for healthy options is one skill I learned when I was reading about weight maintenance years ago. Of course, another skill was learning on how to find healthy choices no matter the circumstance. However, I realize that the latter is best used during at various circumstances as opposed to day to day.

As, I mentioned yesterday. I am championing myself not to get too busy so that I can't do the things that take care of me....including eating healthy, preparing food, and grocery shopping! I feel so much better inside and out when I do..

2 comments:

Papi's Girl said...

I agree with the planning. I cook by breakfast, lunch and dinners for the week on Sundays. I have been doing this now consistantly for the last 2 weeks and it helps trememdously. It also keeps you motivated and focused on your goals beceause you are in control. :)

MS. Bad Mama Jama said...

That's a good point...it puts the control back in your hands!