Sunday, March 7, 2010

Skinny



Lately, I've been hearing this word a lot. This past week in particular!

You're getting skinny. Look at you - skinny minny. Man! Is everybody getting skinny?

I'm never sure what to say....Is that a compliment? Or an observation? Or dis-approval?

For sure, I am not skinny. I've slimmed down alot. Nearly 30 pounds. BUT, I am still a curvy pear shape.

It's funny...My dietitian mentioned that people wouldn't notice until about 15 pounds lost. For me, that was more like 20 to 25 pounds. But, as I close on 30 lbs, I've been really hearing it.

The positive feedback is nice. I so appreciate peoples kind words.

But, I guess what I didn't expect is for it to be a bit unnerving too. I've been working hard. Do I say that? I'm just getting back - close to where I was. Do I say that? I still have work to do. Do I say that? You didn't know me at my old weight. Do I say that? I was getting too chunky for my own good. Do I say that?

I don't know if it's that big of deal or if I want it to be that big of deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say just take the compliment and keep going, LOL! I'm not one to stand around explaining to people my weight loss goals, now if they ask, then that's a different story. I just say thank you and my head get big for about 5 seconds, and then I think Melissa, keep doing what you are doing:-)

Crys said...

Say thank you and strut off! :) Seriously though, it was about 30 lbs when people started commenting. I found it stressful, esp if I gained it back or didn't reach my goal.