Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Latest HBCU Trend? Healthy Grades & Bodies

First Read about this on Paula's blog which I just love.

LU of PA is forcing students with a BMI of 30 or greater to attend a health class or not graduate. (30 and above is considered obese). It's got bloggers & news outlets going nuts even garnering international attention.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8376858.stm

I support Lincoln U of PA making moves to have healthier students, but I feel that ALL students should have to go through the classes. Blacks suffer from disporpotionate numbers of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, etc...In part due to unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. All students should have the tools to live healthily. Your BMI alone is not necessarily an indicator of healthy eating & exercising habits.

Unfortunately, too many college campuses have far too little choices for healthy eating. I wonder how many choices Lincoln U - PA has?

There is enough challenges to being a new grad looking for employment add to that the challenge of being black & overweight. I can not blame Lincoln for wanting their students to have one less hurdle.

I'm a HBCU grad of the Lincoln University of Missouri. So, I love what this HBCU is doing, and hope others implement it too. But, with a focus on all students not just some.

No comments: