Thursday, December 22, 2011

"She lectures us on eating right while she has a large posterior herself": Rep. on First Lady Obama

I know that's a long title but I couldn't think of a better way to summarize the representative's comments. Today Huffington Post featured a story about Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner who criticized the First Lady on her healthy living campaign. Interestingly, enough, Jim Sensenbrenner is noticeably overweight.

(I refuse to post a picture with a side or back view as the post did.....here's one of here I love)



What does healthy look like? Mrs. Obama consistently practices what she preaches - eating in moderation and staying active. She also looks very fit - toned arms and all.

It never ceases to amaze how misguided people can be about what healthy and fit really looks like or what healthy and fit eats and works out like. Healthy does not necessarily equate a Sports Illustrated Cover although Rush Limbaugh seems to think it does. Healthy eating does not mean that all foods that aren't fruits and vegetables are excluded. Staying active doesn't mean a killer 3 hour workout routine 6 days a week.

 Further complicate this with a lack of understanding of the genetic factors and traits of race/ethnicity and the confusion continues.

Several years ago there was a study which was released that indicated that a healthy BMI could be one to two points higher for African American women (5 to 10 pounds) ---I swore I blogged about it but I can't find that post....Maybe I just sent an email instead...but, I digress. Earlier this year there was a study released that for African American women a healthy waist line could be a few inches more.

What I think is most problematic with this is that it communicates that "they" don't understand Black women and our bodies on some level. How many women downplay the advice they receive from doctors or nutrionists? "It don't take all that"...."We're just made differently"...How many women so completely frustrated with the images of what healthy looks like - rebel?

In the end, I couldn't help to smile to myself...I too have a "large posterior" even with all the exercise and healthy eating...

3 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

When I first heard about this I couldn't believe it. I'm just shaking my head at the balls on this Rep. Michelle look stunning in that pic (thanks for sharing, I've never seen that one of her before).

MS. Bad Mama Jama said...

Josie- Agreed. If this is what he will say in public, what will he say in private?

Papi's Girl said...

I have not been blessed with that asset...LOL....but I have a curvy womanly shape. I have struggled with the same issues in that I have to except my body and not compare it to what others percieve to be "fit" or healthy.

I think we are bombarded with images of what "perfect" is and it's hard to ignore the almost impossible standards placed on us.

I have to convince my 12 yr old daugher that her thick legs are beautiful and strong. It is so sad that we must convince ourselves that we are good enough or pretty enough when God made us perfect and in His image. :)