Monday, April 26, 2010

The Trolley Run

Yesterday, I participated in the 22nd Annual Trolley Run. It's a run benefitting seeing impaired children. It's also the nation's largest timed four-mile run is 'known for its fast, flat to downhill course'. 7,630 people participated. It was chilly outside and overcast - perfect for running.



It's a beautiful run...winding through a lovely section of town....Waldo, Brookside, ending on the Plaza. At times you run through neighborhoods and the residents were wonderful coming out to cheer us on - some still in their bathrobes, coffee cups in hand. Other residents turned up their stereos so we had music to run too. A band was out playing around mile 2 and 1/2. But, my favorite was the ladies at mile 3. They were hilarious and definitely helped me going.

I ran/walked it. My official time is 49 minutes. 12:15 average per mile.

I'm out of shape (as far as running is concerned) due to sitting out a few weeks due to the knee pain/waiting on the medical diagnosis. Although we are working on building back to running in physical therapy, I am not doing more than 10 minutes at a time.

I'm convinced I would have been faster if I had had my mp3 player. I forgot to check the battery and it was dead :( But, then I wouldn't have heard the supporters and volunteers.

Oh, yeah, and about the mostly "down-hill" (which they publicize, my co-workers, and the folks at the running shoe store all say how 'easy it was')...Uh...there were plenty of UP-HILLS...It's was challenging.

Today, I'm feeling pretty good...Just very sore and very little knee pain.



Nope. Not me. :) This is Jane Kibii. She was the women's winner. She clocked in at 20:43. AND she is blind in one eye! She is my she-ro.

Anywhoo...at the end of it, there were goodies like most races...Orange juice, yogurt, and skim chocolate milk.



And every more goodies....Krispy Kremes, Gourmet Popcorn from Velvet Popcorn, and Lil Guys tortilla chips. First race I've been to with "goodies" like this. LOL!



Anyways...this race was a lot of fun...can't wait to do it again next year.

2 comments:

'Drea said...

Kudos on your participation in the race. I was just reading somewhere that going downhill (while hiking, I think) can be just as demanding on your body.

I love it that people were out in their bathrooms and also providing musical entertainment.

MS. Bad Mama Jama said...

I'll have to look into that prior to next year...I'm sure there might be a strategy to handle them better...My shins were sore til yesterday.