Monday, February 8, 2010

Refuse to Regain


I read this book a few months ago after learning about it in a Women's Health Magazine article. I read it on google books because I was anxious to read it right away. The author, Barbara Berkeley, also has a blog http://www.refusetoregain.com/ that's updated regularly.

I was dissapointed with the book; though I think the WHM article and her blog are great.

Here are some pointers from the book:

1. Be Tough, Not Moderate - When it comes to weight maintenace. Adpot a tough maintenace strategy. Practice your strategy by imaging yourself in potential situations and overcoming the obstacles. Don't fear the challenge. Never let others dictate your eating plan. Refuse to deviate or be deviated from your plan.

2. Keep tabs on your weight - whatever method you think is best.
Whether that is step on the scale regularly or trying on the same pair of jeans.

3. Drop the use of "cheat" and substitute "choice"

4. Immediately reverse small regains.

5. Make sure you have a pre-arrange 'to get weight off' strategy so that you don't have to wing it at the last minute. The easiest strategy is to go back on your original weight loss regimen.

6. Accept reversal of regain weight gain days as a part of life.

7. Exercise is crucial for maintainers. Find an intiguing practice and practice it 5 to 6 days a week. Underscore, its importance by scheduling it, outfitting yourself for the sport, and setting goals to achieve.

8. Remain in a supported setting until you are sure you have achieved your senior maintenance setting - if not permanently.

9. Have a balanced diet including lean meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and low fat diary. A diet low in sodium, saturate fat, high in omega-3 fatty acids, high in fiber, low in trans-fats, high in vitamins & minerals.

In the book she outlines, 12 Rules for Success:

1. Be Tough, Not Moderate (about weight maintenance)
2. Commit yourself to a 3 month opt period* (following all the rules for success perfectly for at least 3 months. afterwards, more flexibility is allowed)
3. Weigh Yourself Every Day
4. Reverse Small Gains Immediately
5. Eat Primarian At Least 90% of the Time*
6. Eat One Major Meal a Day*
7. Perform a Daily Plan and Scan (each day think about your food plan; also think of the challenges that may occur and how you can overcome them)
8. Stop Eating after 8pm*
9. Eat from a Limited Menu*
10. Have One Acceptable Treat a Day
11. Have a Love Affair with Exercise
12. Maintain w/ Support & Support Others

I didn't agree with Rule 3,5,6,8, or 9. I don't find them personally applicable nor do I think their applicable for the average person. Rule 3 - included incorporating other rules I don't agree with.

Rule 5 - Eating a Primarian diet 90% to 100% of the time. What is a primarian diet? It is one that consists of lean meat, eggs, non-starchy veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and some low fat diary similar to what our ancesters ate. No/very little starches....rice, most beans, potatoes, or bread. That's right....no/very little grains (wheat, rye, oats, barley, corn) and grain-based products (flour, cereal, breads, etc..) - even those that are whole grains. Little to no sugar, honey, juices, sweets, pasta, sweetened drinks, condiments. Limited consumption of tropical fruit including bananas, pineapples, mangos, and papayas. Non-caloric beverages are allowed. The only oils allowed are olive, canola, and avocado. Acceptable treats: low-fat pudding cups, low-fat sugar free jello, low-fat frozen yogurt & ice cream, and low- fat toppings.

Rule 6 - Eating one major meal a day. I just don't believe in this. I think you should listen to your body. Some days it may be evenly spread out meals, others one major meal and other small meals. Rule 8 - Stop Eating After 8pm. Research shows that its not when you eat that causes weight gain, but how many calories you eat during the day. I do agree that if you have a snacking problem, you may need to make rules about not going back to the frig after a certain time. Rule 9 - Eat from a Limited Menu - I understand the principle and have read the research behind it in other publications. However, I do think that you should enjoy eating and try different things. If you have a problem doing so, then consider limiting your menu.

The book spends a lot of time discussing the Primarian diet and ways to implement - which is why I didn't find it more useful. However, as I typed this recap I did realize it did have several tips that were helpful. So, I recommend reading this book but take the some of things she advocates with a grain of salt.

2 comments:

'Drea said...

I have numbers three and eleven down to a science.

Like counting calories, weighing myself daily is, oddly, reassuring. Okay, the weighing part can get frustrating but I have a need to know...

MS. Bad Mama Jama said...

Hmmm....how many rules do I do? I do number 3,4,and 10 (not everyday, but I do make the choice to treat myself regularly).

She actually doesn't recommend you to count calories! I failed to mention that. I didn't agree with that. I don't think that you always have to count every day, but I do think you need to be conscious of the nutritional value of what you put in your month.