Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Something About This Rubbed Me The Wrong

I'm not sure if it was the fact that this was posted on a group facebook page for the gym I frequent by a man.

I am not sure if it was the fact that only one type of body shape/fat percentage is consistently being exalted on that group page. 

I'm not sure if it was the fact that it undermined the fact that she obviously was in shape  and eating healthy prior and during to her pregnancies.

I'm not sure if its the fact that it undermines the trade-offs women are free  to make and the personal preferences each woman has regarding her appearance

It was probably a mix of all these things....


The picture features the beautiful Maria Kang - entrepreneur, fitness instructor, and mom. I googled her name and interestingly enough I wasn't the only one who felt that way...I don't necessarily agree with all of the points below but I found them interesting:

http://jdeneen.com/2012/09/17/maria-kangs-photo-on-facebook/
http://chocolatecoveredmutterings.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/whats-your-excuse/
http://melaniechisnall.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/the-enough-campaign-a-time-for-women-to-reclaim-their-beauty/

But others loved the image!

I went to her blog to her website to learn about her. She seems to have a caring heart - dedicated to her husband and kids - dedicated to stay healthy and fit. She says she didn't mean to cause such a stir....she hoped to be an inspiration.


She posted this updated picture..I think it catches her hopes better.

Do pictures of other fit ladies inspire you? I'm careful of the images/women that I pick to inspire me. I like to know that they are consistently eating well and working out.

No comments: